Monday 28 April 2014

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Planning and Research
In order to appeal to my target audience I realised that as well as making the music video my own, such as creating a new image for my artist and making the music video my own, I also acknowledged that appealing to my target audience is one of the most important factors in developing this music video campaign. Therefore, in order to do this, in my initial planning and research I looked into existing music videos of successful bands in the same genre. Although I wanted to follow certain conventions of form and genre (such as using a variety of frames and shots as well as editing to the beat of my song) I also wanted to challenge certain conventions of music videos in order to make my music video more unique, recognisable and and it also allowed me to create a strong profile for my artist. 

Here is a Prezi explaining how I used/challenged forms and conventions of existing media products:



Specific examples of existing music videos that use conventions...
Another convention I followed in my music video was the use of effects in the post production editing process. There are many videos that do this:



I think this is a very effective thing to do in music videos, not to just to use a black and white effect but to use a variety of different effects in order to further reinforce the narrative of a music video. 

Using certain conventions in my music video
So I decided to use this convention but in my own way by putting a 'dream like' effect on the shots of New York, in order to reinforce the idea that this is just a dream, an alternate reality that our star is dreaming of...
I also used a variety of different camera shots in my music video as I noticed this was a convention of music videos and thought it would be a good convention to conform to to make my music video look effective. I used many different types of shots, including close ups, medium shots, long shots and extreme close ups...
This was from my first draft, I have changed the font for the video titles in my newest draft, so it looks more conventional and also helps link with the text on my ancillary texts.






  • Because the indie rock genre is known for breaking conventions of music videos (like the Kooks' video 'Always Where I Need To Be'), they break a lot of conventions of typical music videos, however, this means they are following conventions of indie rock music videos, which is something I have tried to do. For example, in The Kooks' video, they use a variety of different shots and locations (to create an almost montage feel about the video), this is something I liked when doing my initial planning and research and is something I have tried to apply to my music video.
  • I also found a variety of conventions broken in indie rock music videos, so much so that challenging conventions of typical music videos has almost become a convention of indie rock music videos. For example, in Radiohead's Street Spirit video, it could be argued the video is pointless as it does not follow a clear narrative, however, it still has over 8 million views on YouTube, which may not seem a lot compared to a modern pop song video, however, if you take into consideration that the song came out almost 18 years ago and the video not long after it, it shows how popular this video must be, so that by creating an abstract video, your music video can still be popular, even if it does challenge conventions of 'typical' music videos. 
  • So in my video I used a variety of different locations in my video, in some audience feedback after my first draft I got feedback saying it appeared a bit too montage-y, and although this is something I wanted my video to do, I also didn't want this to be a negative factor of my video, so after receiving this feedback I changed a few things so it wasn't as repetitive and tried to create more of a clear narrative about it. However, I still wanted to challenge the convention that you have to have a set narrative in your music video, which is why it may still appear montage-y, but that is how I felt I could achieve my 'abstract' approach to my music video. My audience feedback allowed me to establish whether this was an effective way to approach my video. 
  • I also developed conventions in my ancillary texts, as well as my main music video. I decided to keep the design of my magazine advert and digipak fairly simple, which challenges conventions of digipaks/magazine adverts from other genres, however, in the indie rock genre it is not so challenging.
  • For example, the Arctic Monkeys' latest album 'AM' is very simple, with not even a band name or album name on the front, I wanted to copy this style of design for mine, as this meant it would fit in with other indie rock magazine adverts/CD covers






No comments:

Post a Comment